Sunday, October 13, 2013

On Nondependence of Mind

This weekend I had the Honor and Joy of meeting Kazuaki Tanahashi, or simply Kaz, as he is known around the world.

I had not realized when I signed up for the workshop I participated in this weekend that this "Kaz" was the same person whom I have had several books on my bookshelves about zen for some 20 years. I have been reading his words and admiring his artwork, and then only the second day of the workshop did I realize who he was. Why? Because despite being a world-renowned artist and vastly published author, translator and editor, Kaz is incredibly humble, giving and sincere. He taught us the rudiments of ancient Chinese/Japanese calligraphy, joined us in zazen meditation, ate with us, and most importantly, reminded us to laugh and to smile.

When I got home, I went for the first book of his I ever got, (of course, without knowing him), called moon in a dewdrop, which is a collection of essays by and about the eminent zen monk, Dogen from the 13th Century. In addition to the prose that Kaz translated and commented upon, there are a few poems in the back.

It would betray the nature of zen to explain/comment upon them, so, he did not. In addition, neither will I, but merely let it be...

"On Nondependence of Mind"

Water birds
going and coming
their traces disappear
but they never
forget their path.



No comments:

Post a Comment